Ready to polish a picture book manuscript, pitch, or query letter before submitting to agents and editors? I can help!
What I bring to your manuscript
- Experience critiquing hundreds of picture book manuscripts for satisfied clients, including several who have gone on to secure agent representation.
- Eight years of experience editing for grammar and style for a professional organization.
- Knowledge of children’s book market.
- Learn more about me here.
What you can expect from me
- An overview of your manuscript’s and/or query letter’s “big picture” strengths and areas for improvement–including narrative arc, character development, and voice –and line-level comments.
- Fast turnaround (within 5 business days unless otherwise noted at the time of booking)
- Note: I do not critique rhyming stories.
How to book
To book a critique, please select and pay for your option below. Then, send your manuscripts and/or query letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you!
Big picture and line-level feedback on manuscripts up to 1000 words long.
Query letter edit
Recommendations for strengthening your pitch and line-level edits to ensure your query letter is professional and polished.
Manuscript and query package
One manuscript critique and one query letter edit.
Complete submission package
Three manuscript critiques and one query letter edit. Manuscripts may be sent at different times with no expiration date.
I will read your manuscripts and give you high-level strengths and weaknesses for each, along with my recommendations of which to focus on and query. Price is $10 per manuscript. Please enter the number of manuscripts you plan to send.
20-minute Zoom consultation
Add to any critique to discuss feedback/next steps or professional development (e.g., querying strategy, developing your author brand, etc.).
Get two Twitter pitches per manuscript to use in events like #PitMad, #DVPit, and #PBPitch. Price is per manuscript. Please enter the number of manuscripts you would like pitches for.
What People Say
If anyone needs help polishing their #PB, query letter, or pitch, I highly recommend the services of the amazing @kateallenfox! I had been struggling with putting the finishing touches on a PB for months, and she helped me perfect it in 48 hours! Incredible!Stephanie
Kate’s #picturebook critique was super-helpful! So useful to hear from another #PB writer. Kate was encouraging + gave me a fresh perspective. I feel more confident about my manuscript. Can’t wait to send it out to #kidlit agents. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Kate’s editing servicesAndrea
Kate Allen Fox has done paid critiques of at least 9 of my picture book manuscripts as well as a query letter. Her critiques have been thorough, clear, insightful, and encouraging, and have always helped me take my stories up a level (or two or three). I frequently recommend Kate’s services to my critique partners and writer friends anytime they say they are looking for high-quality picture book critiques that are great value for the money.Nora