Ready to polish a picture book manuscript, pitch, or query letter before submitting to agents and editors? I can help!
What I bring to your manuscript
- Extensive experience critiquing picture book manuscripts, including as In-Person Critique Group Coordinator for SCBWI-San Diego and as a member of the 12 x 12 Picture Book Challenge.
- Eight years of experience editing for grammar and style for a professional organization.
- Knowledge of children’s book market.
What you can expect from me
- Included in your critique:
- An overview of your manuscript’s and/or query letter’s “big picture” strengths and areas for improvement, including narrative arc, character development, and voice.
- Style suggestions.
- Line edits for grammar and spelling.
- Fast turnaround (within 3 business days unless otherwise noted at the time of booking)
- Note: I do not critique rhyming stories.
- Picture book manuscript: $30
- Query letter + Pitch critique: $25
- Picture book manuscript +Query letter + Pitch Package: $50
- 20 minute Zoom consultation after critique: add $15
To book a critique, please email me at email@example.com with your manuscript and/or query letter pasted into the body of the email. I will charge you by PayPal upon completion of the critique.
I can’t wait to read your work!
What people are saying…
“If anyone needs help polishing their #PB, query letter, or pitch, I highly recommend the services of the amazing @kateallenfox! I had been struggling with putting the finishing touches on a PB for months, and she helped me perfect it in 48 hours! Incredible!”
“Kate’s #picturebook critique was super-helpful! So useful to hear from another #PB writer. Kate was encouraging + gave me a fresh perspective. I feel more confident about my manuscript. Can’t wait to send it out to #kidlit agents. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND Kate’s editing services.”
“Through the years I have used multiple critique professionals for editing, guidance, and suggestions on various manuscripts. The goal of writing a picture book to be traditionally published is a daunting task, unachievable by most of us who try. I am so thankful to have found Kate Allen Fox, and her critique services, to guide me in this journey. Kate’s insight and quick grasp of what I was struggling to write, as well as her vision for expanding the theme of my stories to be more attractive to agents to whom I query, was enormously helpful. It has given me renewed hope. She took my words and made them better. She took my story and made it broader. And she did so with gentleness that didn’t diminish my spirit. All this with the most fair charges I have ever paid. I HIGHLY recommend Kate Allen Fox’s critique services.”
“Kate was able to clearly see areas of my MS that were lacking and offer advice on how I might correct them. Her feedback was very intelligent and clear. After working with her, I was told by an agent my MS strongly resonated, whereas prior to working with Kate, I don’t think the structure was even allowing for the point of the story to shine through. Kate also excels at lyrical writing, and was able to offer me constructive feedback regarding my language. I’d highly recommend her critiques to anyone.”